The Road to Dublin
We are happy to announce the Road to Dublin – a series of weekend online events taking place between
May 2022 and March 2023.
As due to the pandemic it was still not possible to organise the Dublin ESS Summer School in time for this year, we put forward an extended series of online events to give us all the opportunity to be in touch virtually and move together step by step towards the ESS Summer School 2023 in Dublin, Ireland, where we finally can meet up again in person.
The Road to Dublin 2022 – 2023 timeline:
28/29 May 2022 – 1. Online Event
5/6 November 2022 – 2. Online Event
December 2022 – ESS Online Concert
March 2023 – 3. Online Event
Summer 2023 – Dublin ESS Summer School
Announcement of the second event
Following on from the last very successful event in May, the ESS is delighted to announce details of the next 2-day online event, The Road to Dublin 2, as a prelude to our next Summer School in Dublin in 2023, and featuring a wide range of styles, genres, levels, pieces and teachers so offering something for everyone; a real bonanza!
- Two ‘rooms’ will be available throughout to cater for both Beginners and Intermediate/Advanced so there will be considerable choice (note: there will be no ‘complete beginners’ classes)
- Longer time slots for all sessions for more in-depth study following feedback from previous events
- Teachers from Japan and rising stars in Europe have been invited to showcase their special expertise in very different genres
- A rare opportunity to learn a classic sankyoku piece taught with both the shakuhachi and koto teachers in the same room to explore the rich expressions and subtle techniques involved
- A Roundtable Discussion led by two leading researchers into the shakuhachi with two special guests to explore a wide range of cultural, aesthetic, historical, musical and construction issues in the shakuhachi incorporating participant’s questions and observations
- Opportunities to get together socially
- The annual AGM will be held on the afternoon of 5 November
Registration opens on 24th September, 2022
Special guest from Japan: Obama Akihito
European teachers: Christophe Kazan Gaston, Véronique Piron, Sagara Akari, Cesar Viana
Roundtable convenors: Kiku Day, Gunnar Jinmei Linder with special guests
Fee: ESS members 40 Euros, Non-ESS members 50 Euros
To join the ESS, please visit the ESS membership page.
Technology: Zoom. Before the event, you will receive an email with links/Zoom invitations to all the sessions
Announcement of the first event
We already can announce the line up for our 1. Online Event,
the other event dates and details will be announced in due time.
1. Online Event: Saturday 28 May + Sunday 29 May 2022
We are particular happy to have, from the US Araki Kodō VI representing the oldest continuous shakuhachi lineage, as well as from Japan, Shiori Tanabe, representing the young and exciting new generation of the Tanabe shakuhachi family.
And we have a fine selection of European guest teachers too: Horacio Curti, Nina Haarer and Philip Horan.
The programme will have 10 sessions covering traditional and modern pieces, tips and technique
and of course there will be moment to ro-buki together.
The detailed schedule and programme is to be announced in early April and
registration for the 1. Online Event will open on the 9 April
Hope to see you there!